Thursday, August 30, 2012

Horse Camp

Best camp in Cincinnati (or Harrison).  Gallup Again Horse Camp.  When they don't have campers the owners of the camp are rescuing animals.  That place was absolutely amazing.

Here's the gist of it.  Each day I had to take care of a horse and another animal.  Goats, ducks, cats, you get the idea.  Clean their stall.  Chickens, dogs.  Feed em.  The works.  And I earned horse money for all this.  But I also had to spend my horse money on their food and their care (we had a vet tech, farrier, masseuse come in).  You could earn extra by helping other campers out-which I did every day.  And at night we had homework.  I want to point out now that I was one of the youngest campers, going up to 13.  And we had the same assignments.  So, this stuff took me quite a bit of time in the evening.  I had to research hackney ponies and write three paragraphs on the cool animals.  And then present it to all the next day.  This camp was intense.  And awesome.  And wonderful.  And one of the best weeks of my life.

At the end of the week we had a bit of a show to put on for all.  And, of course, that means quite the crew.  Mom, brothers, Big Mama, Manny, Grama Max and Aunt Owi all came to watch the big day!!

First, the relay races, bareback style.  I fell off this thing many times earlier in the week, but I got used to it by the big day.  Here we go!

Then it was my turn to lead.
My baby brother and Big Mama watching.
Papa....
Papa is more there for Y so Mom can keep a super close eye on the events.
Here I am with the other campers waiting for our turn on the big horses.
Keeping an eye on the competition.
My turn.
After leading Ms. Sarah asked me a few questions to make sure I knew all about the horse.  Don't worry, 100%.
Look closely, Papa Jerry following my brothers as they grew antsy.
Getting up for the final show.
I have even learned to trot.  I am so excited to keep lessons up when we get back to 29.
After my ride, my ever supportive brothers brought me amazing roses for a job well done.
The ones next to me were given by Y, Hayes presenting the yellow ones.  We're supposed to plant em in Grandpa Don's yard.
The three stooges, I mean Kappel kiddos.
And all the campers.
Please know that I am a humble girl and I don't want to gloat.  But, I think this is the forum to be proud of my accomplishments.  Did you see all those kids above?  ALL THOSE BIG KIDS?  Guess who got 2nd place in the show?  ME ME ME!!  I was so proud of myself!  Check out how big my smile is!  I am going to keep this ribbon forever!!

1 comment: